Stone House Day: List of Houses

Crispell House (parsonage, 1725)
[This can be reached on the walking tour]

Johannes Crispell acquired this property in 1725. He also built a barn to store his horse, cattle and grain. The house was built on the foundation of a smaller house. The original building contained two rooms and a hall. After 1798 a kitchen was added, Having no heirs to take over the farm, an aging John sold the house lot to the Hurley reformed Church in November of 1839 for $1,600.

Polly Crispell Cottage (1725)
[This can be reached on the walking tour]

This house is an example of a mechanic's cottage. It was built by Anthony Crispell, a leather worker, about 1725, as a home and a work place. The cottage is a single room with an end-wall fireplace. The stone workroom was added about the time of the Revolution, probably as a replacement for a wooden structure. However, where the cottage has a basement, the workroom does not. The workroom was originally entered through a connecting doorway to the cottage. This cottage is on lot number one of the original village, right next to the Old Burial Ground.

Du Mond House (the Spy House, 1685)
[This can be reached on the walking tour]

The VanEtten/Dumond (Spy) House, built prior to 1685, is the oldest colonial house in the town. During October and November 1777 the house was used by the Continental army as a guard house for prisoners and a “spy” was held in the basement dungeon.

Ostrander-Elmendorf House (1709)
[This can be reached on the walking tour]

The original section of the Ostrander-Elmendorf House was built in 1709. Two later additions completed in the 1700’s provided more living space and a weaving room to make linen. During the Revolutionary War period, the oldest section was used as The Half-Moon Tavern, which apparently was very popular.

VanDeusen House (1723; This was the temporary NYS capitol in the fall of 1777)
[This can be reached on the walking tour]

The Jan VanDeusen Jr. House was built in 1723 by Captain Jan. This house is one of the earliest rural Georgian cottages in the town. The parlor served as the meeting room for the NYS Committee of Safety during the Revolutionary War.

The Dr. Richard Ten Eyck House (c.1789)
[This can be reached on the walking tour]

This stone house was built ca. 1789 and is a two story center hall cottage with a stone lean-to, which served as a kitchen. The first and second floors are identical, a center hall with a stairway, flanked by a single room on each side. The fireplaces are centered on the end walls in each room. This house was built by Dr. Richard Ten Eyck as a wedding gift to his wife, just after the close of the Revolutionary War. The site for the house was given to the doctor by his father, Matthew Ten Eyck, as part of his inheritance. The house is located on the site of an earlier, smaller cottage. The lot dates from late 1662 to early 1663 when the original village was expanded.


Houghtaling House (1715)
[This can be reached on the free bus tour]

The earliest traced property owner is Charles Wylei, a miller for the Town of Hurley. He owned a long stretch of property, of which this is a portion. He then sold a section of the property to Willem Van Vredenburgh April 12, 1712 for three pounds. On December 21, 1720, Willem sold to Gerrit Konstapol, a weaver, a lot with a stone house for 48 pounds, 15 shillings. Tax records show the house was build by Willem in 1715. It is thought that Gerrit built a room onto the cottage to use as his commercial weaver's room. Gerrit is the son of Egbert Garretsen and Marytje Hendricks. They had nine children, including Gerrit, born 1695.

The Wynkoop House (c.1663)
[This can be reached on the free bus tour]

On the 25th of April, 1663, Cornelius Wynkoop received a grant of 112 morgen (24 acres) at Nieuw Dorp, now Hurley, according to an early Wynkoop genealogy. Sometime after the Indian massacre and burning of Hurley in 1663, “he removed from Albany to Hurley in 1664, where he remained as a farmer until his death.” According to old Albany and Ulster County records kept by colonial officials, the original 24 acres acquired in 1663 were joined to a later acquisition of 46 acres “all granted originally by Peter Stuyvesant.” The uniqueness of the property lies in the fact that title to it remained in the same family from 1663 to 1971, when the present owners purchased it from the Elizabeth A. Wynkoop Estate, a span of 10 generations. At one time the property is said to have maintained 17 slaves, one of whom killed Col. Cornelius D. Wkynkoop of Revolutionary War fame in 1792.

You may also visit:
Old Burial Ground (1708)
[This can be reached on the walking tour]

This Burial Ground is the oldest continuously-operated public cemetery in Ulster County. Burials have taken place here since the early 1700’s.

To see where the houses and other attractions are located, see the Local Map page.